Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Dark Knight Rises- Geek Talkin'

Well, let's see....What do we know about TDKR so far?

....Not Shit really.


We know Anne Hathaway is Catwoman.


"Meow."

We know Tom Hardy is Bane and yes, we've seen bane. He looks like he'll destroy someone.


Not "Meow."


There is in face a Lazarus Pit.....



"The thumb wrestling incident...."


And Ras Al Ghul has something to do with the plot....


"Like a bat outta hell, I'll be gone when the mornin' comes!"

Bane is one of the best villains of all time. Despite the abysmally bad "Batman & Robin," there's a lot of potential in Bane. He's a dominant personality, a physical and mental genius, and despite all of the other villains in the rogues gallery, he has been the one that has physically destroyed Batman. He has deduced Bruce Wayne's Identity, destroyed Wayne Manor, and broken Batman's back. And I do believe he's killed a Robin somewhere in there as well. 

It's no secret that Nolan's films are exceptionally dark, but Nolan has a chance to go where no Batman film has ever gone before....Into Frank Miller territory. Frank Miller's synonymous with the darker side of story telling. Batman's weaknesses are not known to his foes, other than The Joker (But the joker doesn't care about his weaknesses) and Batman has always come out unscathed in the film world. The Dark Knight changed all that with the loss of Rachel Dawes. Bruce/Batman had lost something dear to him and it exploited his weakness severely. While The Joker had been playing a mere game for his own amusement, Bane is a much more focused adversary. 

Bane is a calculating and dominating force in the Gallery, and like the examples above, he goes all in. I believe Batman will be making some huge gambles and will be doing a lot more detective work. The shadows can conceal him for only so long. 

And what part does Ras Al Ghul play? Mentor to Bane? Does he introduce Bane to the Venom?  Or is that what the Lazarus Pit is? In the comics, The Lazarus Pit is the source of Ras' supposed immortality and power.  It is a secret that has kept him alive for hundreds of years and allowed him to amass a great following. Whatever role he plays, I feel it will not be an expected one. 

The Dark Knight Rises is a little over a year off. I'm happy with the casting...but Hathaway has the most to prove here. I love her in Devil Wears Prada, Becoming Jane is also good work from her, however.....She really hasn't proven herself on any other level. She makes forgettable films like Valentines Day and Bride Wars....She really doesn't challenge herself enough. But I have full faith in Nolan and his vision for the finale. I think she's talented enough and I hope she pulls out a great performance, one that I hope she is capable of. I think it will open up a lot of doors to her, especially if she dials in something spectacular. 

TDKR is the movie that I've waited my entire life to see. I hope I live to July 2012, but I know there's no guarantee. Let's hope that we're in for something wild. 

1 comment:

  1. One thing I've decided with Nolan is that I will follow him and his casting choices to the end of the Earth. If he says Hathaway is Catwoman, then by God she is.

    Plus...I really can't wait to see her in that suit!

    The Bane stuff is really going to be interesting, and I can't wait to see how it plays out. I figure the Lazarus Pit = Venom, but if Nolan is going to choose this flick to start bringing in the supernatural stuff, then it could be anything, honestly. I'm wondering if we'll see Liam Neison in this one, myself.

    If you dig Bane, I wholeheartedly suggest you start reading Secret Six. I started reading it more for Catman and Deadshot, but Bane strikes his claim on that book in a big bad way. Especially the issue right after Bruce dies, and Catman and Bane have this little struggle with whether they feel they can take up the mantle of the Bat. Awesome stuff. It's one comic I can't recommend enough.

    ReplyDelete